Thursday, March 11, 2010

Why is this time any different?

Someone on the boards asked all of the people who have done WW more than once "why did you leave WW last time"? I thought that was a fantastic question, and I thought for a long time about why I have lost and gained weight so many times in my life. Of course, it's a common phenomenon ("yo-yo dieting"). I've probably done WW 4 or 5 times seriously in the past, gotten to goal, and then gained all the weight back quickly (+10 extra pounds each time). I'm fantastic with the plan while I'm still losing weight, but once it's gone, I get over-confident and stop caring about what I eat.

So, I want to put down on 'paper' why this time is going to be different. Quite frankly, I'm tired of being obese. I like tying my shoes without being uncomfortable, dammit! Here's the action plan:
- Get down to 149 pounds (a relatively healthy BMI for me) using the regular WW plan
- Attempt to maintain for at least 6 weeks - figure out how many points my body can take without gaining (and try not to feel like a failure while doing so)
- Once I've successfully maintained for at least 4 weeks in a row, set a new goal (probably 139 pounds)

I'll also be thinking about this for the next little while to see if I can come up with more non-weight goals. If I have something to work towards, I think my job will be a lot easier!

1 comment:

  1. I've done weight watchers several times in the past as well, but I've never gotten to goal. Maintenance scares the crap outta me! Good thing I still have a lot to lose I guess!
    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete