Monday, March 8, 2010

I feel like poop :(

I know, I know, woe is me!

Here's what happened this morning: In my alternative dispute resolution class, we had to role-play a mediation. I was assigned to play the plaintiff's lawyer. The plaintiff was claiming that the defendant had knowingly given him a fatal communicable disease, and was suing for emotional damages as well as future care costs. When interviewing my client, I discovered that he had not in fact contracted the disease - he had received a false positive, had started the lawsuit, and then had discovered that he did not have it. Although I was really very careful during the mediation not to expose that he didn't have the disease, I felt like throwing up the entire time. Of course, not disclosing this in real life would be completely illegal, and I would lose my license. However, my instructions were to carry out the mediation in a fashion that would not expose him, and that would pretty much defraud the other side into giving us what we were claiming. Which they did. And then during the class discussion afterwards, it came out that he didn't have the disease. Although all of the plaintiff's lawyers had followed the instructions, we ended up looking pretty stupid, because it wasn't revealed that we were instructed to act this way. I feel like my reputation was at stake, and the professor did a piss-poor job at protecting us and telling the class that we were TOLD to act like this. And then it happened.......I threw up my breakfast and my lunch. In private, but still! Which got me thinking...do I still have to count the points (haha!)? I know this post had not a lot to do with weight loss, but what I was thinking about was:
- do I have to count the points?
- what effect does this sort of extreme stress have on weight loss? I wonder if stress was contributing to my weight gain to begin with?
- I need to learn to control my anxiety. I've never felt like this before, and I'm usually a no-nonsense kind of lawyer, but geez louise! I feel like such a failure!

Ok, rant over. Thanks for listening!!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had such a rough day, but I had to laugh at the first thing that came to your mind. Do I could the points? Let's go with half and call it even.

    ReplyDelete