Sunday, March 7, 2010

Weightloss Toolkit

I've been thinking about my "necessaries" - things in my weightloss toolkit that I couldn't do without. I want to keep a running list because I always forget about some of my little tricks when I'm cooking or working out!

1. My trusty scale - I measure myself every day (I know, I know!) because I like to keep track of my fluctuations. That way, even if I'm up one day, I can tell if it's "for real". I keep an excel spreadsheet with a graph of my daily losses.

2. My tape measures - I purchased a 3-pack at the dollar store a while back, and I keep them in various places. I measure myself once a week (chest, waist, hips, each thigh, each arm) because I have a hard time seeing progress in the mirror.

3. Salsa - Such a good replacement for high fat/cal sauces! Salsa is so good on sandwiches, wraps, in casseroles, and pretty much anywhere else you need a little moisture!

4. Hot sauce - When I lived in Saskatoon, there was a hot sauce store around the corner from my apartment, and I got hooked. Now that we live in Ottawa, we have to drive to Navan to get our fix (http://www.chillychiles.com/), but it is SO worth it! We put hot sauce on everything (like the Frank's commercial - "I put that S*#t on everything") and it helps keep me satisfied. My personal favs are the Marie Sharp's line of hot sauces.

5. Spaghetti squash - slice in half lengthwise, microwave for 10 minutes face down, scoop out with a fork to separate the strands, and serve under spaghetti sauce. Mmmmmm

6. Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred - Best. DVD. Ever. Jillian makes you sweat, and tones you up, all in 20 minutes!

7. All of Mari Winsor's Pilates DVDs - Great for the days where you can't Shred ;)

8. My puppy - Steve is our little black pug. He loves to play in the park and go for long walks (beach optional).

9. iPod - I've been walking to school lately (5km!), and my iPod keeps me pumped up and moving quickly. It only takes about 50 minutes, but it gives me a chance to think, or to turn up the music loud enough that I can't think. Delightful!

10. WW Smart Ones meals (frozen) - I don't love the texture of some of these meals, and they contain a lot of sodium, but when I'm in a rush, it is SO nice to know exactly how many points I'm eating. The best ones are the chicken quesadilla and the breakfast sandwiches (hello Monday morning).

11. Mini Babybel Light - I really dislike the Laughing Cow cheese that everybody raves about. What's so great about flavorless cream cheese that comes wrapped in tin foil? Babybel actually tastes and is textured like cheese. Woo!

12. Flax seeds - I add these to chilis, soups, stews, etc. I just grind them up and toss them in for a little health boost in every bite! (Careful - they're high in points)

13. "Fake" poutine - I love love love poutine. McCain's fries baked in the oven + powdered poutine gravy (0 points!) + low fat brick cheddar = the most delightful Saturday night dinner!

What's in your toolkit?

1 comment:

  1. Great post!
    I've never heard of the fake poutine, I'll have to give it a try!

    My toolkit also includes my scale. It has also my measuring cups (couldn't live without em) and my WW books. I take them everywhere.

    ReplyDelete